So this is the game that I helped make. Download it here.
HOW TO PLAY:
– Destroy the enemy base to win.
– Each player has four movement keys and two attack keys.
– One fire key fires at the enemy base.
– The other fires at the enemy player.
– Shots fired at the enemy player move faster.
– Your shield deflects enemy shots towards the enemy base.
– A player’s shield is the last part of his health to disappear (besides his core).
– If a player is destroyed, his base will spend health to respawn him.
– The bases’ and projectiles’ regeneration rate become faster as the game goes on.
– lead programmer (80-90% of all scripting)
– helped refine the game’s design, cutting extraneous gameplay mechanics.
– decided that the shields should actually bounce projectiles back.
– managed to teach two of my other teammates about Unity3d and how to do some of the simpler scripting.
Going into the 2012 Global Gamejam I really wasn’t feeling my creative juices flowing. So I decided to go with someone else’s design. Much to my disappointment, I didn’t really like anyone’s pitched ideas. The one that I decided to go with was a multiplayer-only shared-keyboard (my kind of game). The rules were confusing, overcomplicated, and the guy that pitched it didn’t even realize initially that his game would be played on a shared-keyboard.
Things got off to a rocky start, when I realized that the other two guys in the group had never worked in Unity before. So I quickly found myself trying to bring them up to speed as I was trying to create a fairly simple game consisting of unusually complicated components. the game would have been very easy to make, were it not for the programmatic art style. Each character and their bases are comprised of individual objects behaving in unison.
In the end, we managed to pull it off, but with no sound… This was probably due to the fact that at the very end of our testing phase, I managed to break the game with a simple modification, and in my panic, break it further. By the time everything was sorted out, time was up. The whole thing was a lot of work, and for a while, I was pretty certain it was doomed for failure, but turned out to be a decent product.