So a few of you have been emailing me and asking for updates on WiiBuddy for Windows. It’s not that we’ve really hit a snag persay, but I haven’t had access to a Windows machine with bluetooth and Unity pro in months.
All I can really do is apologize and hope that circumstances change for me soon. Some of you have asked for access to what we’ve just developed so far. I neither have the time nor the code nor the experience to make this a feasible way to proceed. Again, sorry.
I hope this isn’t completely impeding many of your projects. I have a lot going on in my career/life right now but I try not to forget about all of you and WiiBuddy.
Goodluck. I’ll get back to this and let you all know as soon as I can.
I like this game. I had fun making it and throughout the endless hours I spent playtesting it, I never really got sick of it. It started a bit over two years ago when I made the first version of this for a class assignment that required us to use GameSalad. Back then, I called the game Shrapman and it got me an A. After that, I started working on what would become Ultra. It wasn’t until I finished WiiBuddy that I really focused back on this game.
I strongly considered starting over in Unity3d, but I decided instead to simply see what I had through to the finish. Besides, a lot of the games “magic” would no doubt be lost, had I attempted to start over.
Perhaps I will remake it some day in Unity and/or port it to more platforms. In the mean time though, I’m still trying to figure out how to promote this one and get people to buy it!… YOU!! …BUY IT!
So I suppose at this point, I am officially a freelance game developer. My first client had me make this here prototype for an unannounced game of some sort.
On top of that, my new client has me developing a motorcycle racing game for mobile platforms in Unity. It’s exciting, but I’m still getting used to the dangers of working remotely. I don’t have anything to show of this game, although I imagine I will as it comes closer to fruition.
On top of all this, I’ve been making large strides towards getting my own explosive action puzzler to the App Store. I’ve been getting a bunch of my friends to playtest it now that I’ve made several tweaks to the user experience and they actually seem to enjoy it and want to keep playing (such was not always the case). What exciting times these are.
After completing my senior project, I decided that the Wii’s nunchuck design was not very well suited for a game that required you to quickly alternate between the C and Z button, as well as hold them both at the same time. My efforts towards creating a redesign of the controller are still infantile (especially since my partner in the project is occupied by her classes), but this video shows where we’re at. Hopefully, I’ll be able to take this far enough to give it its own project page in my portfolio.
After a few months of rounding up and implementing everything I could find about connecting to Wii® controllers via bluetooth, I’ve successfully created a neat little scripting asset, which is now available on the Unity Asset Store. It’s called WiiBuddy and it simply lets you connect controllers to your Unity projects and use their input however you want. I show off the wide range of devices its compatible with, in this video.
I’ll create a project page for this shortly, but if you’re a Unity developer and would like to play around with Wii controls without have to spend mad cash of a dev-kit, then this thing I’ve made is probably the easiest way for you to do that.
This is the game I recently made for the Global Gamejam 2012! I’m fairly proud of it, except for the fact that it has no sound…
Here’s the project page!
So first things first, a while ago I updated my iphone game Oblivio to make it much simpler and hopefully more fun for actual humans. This seems to be irrelevant however, seeing as how I only get about 3 downloads of the FREE version each day. I did sell 1 full version on Christmas eve. So there’s that. I’m considering removing the free version from the app store and seeing if that will result in more impulse buys of the full version.
New Project : Ultra
More importantly, I’ve added a new project tab to this here portfolio site. It’s a very long term project, which I’ve decided to codename “Ultra.” This name is reminiscent of the original name for the N64, which to me was a peak of my video gaming childhood. It’s also the name of one of the most adrenaline pumping songs KMFDM has ever produced and that’s a sense of rapid action that I intend for this control scheme to be capable of. Also it’s a short word. So hopefully I won’t get tired of saying it for a long time.
So this is a very exciting project and hopefully, I’ll have it under control enough once the semester starts, when I’ll be turning this into my senior project and having a few very talented classmates working with me.
So hopefully, this will result in me actually creating a finished product that demonstrates some of my more complex ideas, and hopefully leads to me getting an actual job with a company congruent with those ideas.